Saturday, September 17, 2011

Genesis 6


"No-ah, No-ah, No-ah built the Arc-y Arc-y. Built it out of birch-y barky barky. Children of the Lord.

Actually it was Cypress wood, but who's counting.

When I was writing about Genesis 5, I talked about how old men of this time were before they died. In Genesis 6, God seems to be wondering the same thing. After a few generations the areas that were settled began to get a bit crowded. I mean Adam lived another forty years after Methuselah was born. Methuselah was Adam's great-great-great-great-great grandson (that's 5 greats). That is a whole lot of generations alive at one time. God decides that since man is simply flesh he shall only live to 120 years. It's not clear if that applied to Noah's sons. If it did then at some point Noah would have outlived his sons. A tricky situation on God's part. I wonder how God implemented the plan.

I know we are all descendants of Adam and Eve, but we have Noah and his sons to thank for being here. I actually wonder if we are all Seth's descendants or if some / all of the wives of Noah and son's were from Cain's line. This is of course not accounting for the fact that there were random women about for Seth and Cain to marry in the first place. Women were not considered to carry the line so their genealogy doesn't matter so much . . . I guess. If that's the case then we all descent from Adam through Seth's line and all of Cain's descendants died in the flood. This is interesting to me because, I would presume that a great portion of the population who are familiar with the story of Adam and Eve as well as Cain and Able would not recognize that there was a third brother Seth, or that Adam and Eve even had more sons at all.

I know we are doing a hell of a job killing each other off and ruining our planet. We have technology and pollutants that Adams family couldn't even have begun to conceive of. I am regularly disgusted with the human race, myself included. Some of the things I hear myself say, and the decision I make I know are not in the best interest of anyone. However, I do wonder what God was looking at when he decided to wipe out mankind, and how hard is he working at self control to not do it all over again now. We are seriously (as my Mum would put it) looking for a smack.

As we move further into the chapter God decrees the flood, and commands Noah to build the Arc.
"Who built the Arc? Noah, Noah. Who built the arc? Brother NOah Built the Arc."
It's somewhere between 300' x 50' x 30' + 10' and 550' x 83.33' x 50' + 16.66' big. Not as big as some boats these days, but still a big project by hand. Then bring the animals two by two . . .
" . . . the elephant and the kangaroo."
And all the food that you will need for 40 days and nights in a flood. Easy, peasy.

I'm thinking Chapter 7 is the actual flood.
Stay tuned
Be


No comments:

Post a Comment